- Entitlement and access to public health care services
- Medical treatment: consent and withdrawal
- Advance Directives
- Taking care of a mentally incapacitated person: Guardianship or Committee
- Enduring Power of Attorney
- Elder abuse
- Medical negligence
- Medical insurance
- Care by residential care homes for elderly persons
- Overview of residential care homes for elderly persons in Hong Kong
- Licensing system for residential care homes in Hong Kong
- The Residential Care Homes (Elderly Persons) Ordinance and its subsidiary legislation
- The Code of Practice for Residential Care Homes (Elderly Persons)
- Monitoring of residential care homes
- The Complaint Mechanism
- The Residential Care Homes (Persons with Disabilities) Ordinance
- How to select a suitable residential care home and how to adjust to group living in residential care homes?
- Elder abuse
- Common examples of accidents which may cause personal injury to elderly persons in residential care homes
Care by residential care homes for elderly persons
The Code of Practice for Residential Care Homes (Elderly Persons)
The Director of Social Welfare issued a Code of Practice for Residential Care Homes (Elderly Persons) under section 22(1) of the Residential Care Homes (Elderly Persons) Ordinance (Cap. 459) to ensure that the premises, design, staffing, operation, management, etc. of licensed residential care homes comply with the licensing requirements and that residential care homes have the necessary resources to attend to the care needs of their residents, and to provide a safe and hygienic living environment for them.
The Code of Practice sets out the guidelines, standards, principles and procedures for the operation, upkeep, management and other requirements of residential care homes. Observance of the Code of Practice is a licensing requirement.
The Code of Practice also sets out detailed requirements in relation to the licence, building and accommodation; safety and fire precautions; floor space, furniture and equipment; management, staffing, health and care services; infection control, nutrition and diet; cleanliness and sanitation; and social care for residential care homes in Hong Kong.
Please click here for the latest Code of Practice (Chinese only) on the SWD website.
The Director of Social Welfare reviews and updates the Code of Practice from time to time to cater for the needs of residents of residential care homes in Hong Kong.