- Entitlement and access to public health care services
- Medical treatment: consent and withdrawal
- Advance Directives
- Taking care of a mentally incapacitated person: Guardianship or Committee
- Enduring Power of Attorney
- Elder abuse
- Medical negligence
- Medical insurance
- What is a medical insurance?
- Different types of medical insurance
- Common exclusions in medical insurance policies
- Utmost good faith
- Medical evidence requirements
- Important matters to consider before taking out your medical insurance policy
- Practical tips for disputing a medical claim denial by an insurance company
- The Insurance Claims Complaints Bureau
- Questions and answers
- Care by residential care homes for elderly persons
The Insurance Claims Complaints Bureau
The Insurance Claims Complaints Bureau (the Bureau) is a self-regulatory initiative implemented by the insurance industry to protect consumers and handle complaints about insurance claims arising from personal insurance contracts. It was incorporated in February 1990.
A Complaints Panel was established by the Bureau with the objective of providing independent and impartial adjudication of claims complaints by policyholders or their beneficiaries against insurers. Currently, the Complaints Panel's jurisdiction limit is HK$800,000 and its decisions are binding on all Bureau Members. However, if the complainants do not accept the decision of the Complaints Panel, they are free to seek legal redress, and their legal rights are not affected by the decision of the Complaints Panel.
How to Lodge a Complaint?A complaint must be made in writing with full details of the complaint subject, the insurer's name, the policy number, the claim amount, the completed Authorized Form, and copies of the following documents:
- The full set of policy documents, together with the application form;
- The claim form;
- The medical report and other relevant documents;
- The written notification from the Insurer with final decision on the claim dispute.
The Authorized Form can be downloaded here.
The correspondence address of the Insurance Claims Complaints Panel is: 29th Floor, Sunshine Plaza, 353 Lockhart Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong.