Taking care of a mentally incapacitated person: Guardianship or Committee

Court’s powers in cases of emergency

The application for the appointment of a committee may take considerable time. What if the property of the person concerned is subject to imminent depletion or diminution? 

If the Court has reason to believe that the person concerned may be incapable, by reason of mental incapacity, of managing and administering his/her property and affairs, and that it is necessary to take immediate measures to deal with such matters, the Court may appoint an interim receiver (usually the Director of Social Welfare or the Official Solicitor) to take over the property, pending the determination of the question as to whether that person is mentally incapacitated.